Friday, June 11, 2010

World Cup Fever


World Cup fever began at 7 a.m. today in my household. All told, this will be the third World Cup I've endured since meeting my husband. But since it's only every four years, I've learned to roll with the punches -- and by punches I mean very loud dudes in my living room at ungodly hours (4 a.m.), early morning beer drinking, mid-afternoon beer drinking and oh yes, late-night beer drinking. It's a raucous happening, but one I've come to enjoy. I get to see my husband's eyes light up like a kid, and that's the best part. So, to commemorate the 2010 games, I baked a batch of soccer ball cookies to go with all that beer drinking and soccer watching.

Here's a quick and dirty tutorial on how to make these bad boys, though really it's pretty easy. They'll add a touch of class to any World Cup gathering, and you'll score a "gooooooooooal" with anyone who tastes them.

First, bake up a batch of round sugar cookies. I used my favorite recipe for No Fail Sugar Cookies and a round cutter from Michael's. Then, whip up a batch of royal icing using this recipe and flavor it with vanilla or whatever you prefer. Cover the cookies with white icing and let dry for a few hours, preferably overnight.


Cut out a pentagon template. I found a pentagon to fit this particular cookie cutter here.


Place the template in the center of the cookie and trace around it with an edible ink pen -- I used AmeriColor Gourmet Writer in black.


Outline the pentagon with stiff black icing and fill it in with thin black icing.


With stiff black icing, draw a thin line from each point outward to the edge of the cookie.


Add triangles about two-thirds of the way down and fill them in. You'll get the hang of it after one or two attempts.


Here's the finished cookie. It's that easy. Enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. AWESOME!! These are fantastic! GREAT pictures to! So impressed!!!!

    Blessings-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amanda!!! I love your blog -- so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gooooooal!

    Great tutorial. My niece would do bicycle kicks over these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are really cute, great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way cool!! Now, those are some sporty cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial! I was having a hard time with my soccer balls -- but not anymore! :) This was so easy and they look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This tutorial is a godsend. I'm shipping soccer balls to England for a customer and I wasn't sure how to begin. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! What did you use to tint the black icing? I'm having a hard time getting a deep, dark black. Thanks!

    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an amazing tutorial!Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I can't wait to make these for my sons soccer party! How do you add flavor to the icing so it won't lose its consistency? Also, do you use the gel coloring? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just pd sugar and water for icing? No meringue pdr?

    ReplyDelete
  12. And how do you put the first coat of white icing on so evenly without it going down the sides?

    ReplyDelete
  13. And how do you put the first coat of white icing on so evenly without it going down the sides?

    ReplyDelete